Pursuing Degree from a Hospital Bed

Columbia Cybersecurity Student Keeps Moving Forward, Despite Coronavirus 

It usually takes a few terms before faculty members can gauge a new student’s level of commitment. Not so with Terrance Beaty. The Columbia Campus Cyber and Information Security Technology student had barely gotten started when he was diagnosed with Coronavirus, and soon after, admitted to the hospital. 

Support staff and faculty on campus were ready to give him all the time needed to catch up, but Terrance refused to ease up. He insisted on having his laptop beside his hospital bed and would fire it up whenever his energy level was sufficient.  

“It was not easy,” says Terrance. “As soon as ‘I’d have the strength to get some work done, my body would quickly give out. However, getting a degree is very important to me. This illness is not my end and I have a lot to look forward to, so I must give it my all. Anything worth having is worth fighting for and I’ve always been a fighter. I never quit. Sometimes I will step back and slow down, but whenever I start something, I have to finish it, no matter how long it takes and no matter how hard or how high the climb.” 

“I did a lot of research before I chose ECPI University. Based on my experience so far, I can see I made the right choice. It’s been like a good marriage. We are both working toward a common goal. My aspirations are their aspirations, and they are working hard to make sure that I achieve my goals even through these difficult times of social distancing.” 
– Terrance Beaty, Columbia Campus Cyber and Information Technology Student 

From day one, Terrance has been committed to do what it takes to complete his education, says Campus Director of Academic Affairs Mike Zakkary. “Terrance communicates regularly with faculty and staff, and the University is working closely with him to see him through this ordeal. He has shown great courage and determination.” 

Terrance was released from the hospital on May 5. While he still has a ways to go – both toward his degree and his recovery – he does so with a singular focus on his future. “I’ve always wanted to change careers,” he says. “I’ve always been interested in computers and I did a lot of research before I chose ECPI University. Based on my experience so far, I can see I made the right choice. It’s been like a good marriage. We are both working toward a common goal. My aspirations are their aspirations, and they are working hard to make sure that I achieve my goals even through these difficult times of social distancing. I will never ever forget how they supported me while I was recovering, and I always remember them for what they’ve done for me.” 

Be the first to comment on "Pursuing Degree from a Hospital Bed"