Army Vet Continues to Serve

Richmond/Moorefield IT Management Student has a New Military Mission

Richmond/Moorefield Campus IT Management Student Micah Chelf

Two years ago, knee surgery brought an abrupt end to Micah Chelf’s military career. With little time to prepare, he began evaluating his options as a civilian. At first, he felt a bit lost. “This created a personal disconnect that existed in my life, as if a part of me was missing,” he says. “My first thought was that I loved the idea of working in the nonprofit world and creating success stories in my community, but I also had a passion for service that I wanted to continue with the military. Lucky for me, I found the perfect balance.”

Micah is now Director of Operations at Tech for Troops, an organization dedicated to empowering Veterans with computers, skills, and IT work force training. A big part of its mission involves collecting donated computers, refurbishing them, and then giving them away to veterans to use as they transition from military to civilian life.

Micah’s day job keeps him busy, but he still makes time for his education. Currently, he’s pursuing his Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a concentration in IT Management at ECPI University’s Richmond/Moorefield campus and is expected to graduate next year. “I entered the professional workforce at an early age and had no personal desire for a campus lifestyle,” he says. “ECPI University offered the flexibility to continue my education in a setting that complemented my workflow.”

On campus and off, everyone who encounters Micah is drawn to his dedication and commitment.

“Every day at Tech for Troops is an adventure and Micah rises to the occasion time and again,” says, Tech for Troops President and Executive Director Mark Casper. “Our upward trajectory is smoother with his knowledge learned from ECPI and the military.”

An excellent student, Micah has a 3.86 GPA, but he says that’s not what it’s all about. “A big motivator for me is self-respect, and self-worth,” he says. “I’m signing my name to these assignments, and that’s a bigger deal than the grade. That self-accountability to a higher standard and adherence to work-school-life balance is what really matters. Through my studies at ECPI, I am learning to think differently, finding new ways to approach different situations. That is going to make me an even more effective leader.”

Upon graduation, Micah’s plans will not change all that much. His mission will remain the same…serving others. “I’ve found my purpose. Following graduation, I intend to continue answering the call.”

A big motivator for me is self-respect, and self-worth. I’m signing my name to these assignments, and that’s a bigger deal than the grade. That self-accountability to a higher standard and adherence to work-school-life balance is what really matters. Through my studies at ECPI, I am learning to think differently, finding new ways to approach different situations. That is going to make me an even more effective leader.”

Be the first to comment on "Army Vet Continues to Serve"