Online Healthcare Administration Grad Finds Inspiration from Fellow Veteran and Twin Sister

Not all identical twins do everything alike. Take Porshia Brown, for instance. After graduating from high school, both she and her sister, Ashley, decided to join the military. Ashley joined the Navy, but Porshia chose the Army. After leaving the military, Porshia decided to earn an associate degree in social science while her sister attended ECPI University’s Newport News campus to study electrical engineering. Soon after, Porshia noticed a difference between their educational experiences.

“I noticed how advanced her curriculum was, but she also enjoyed what she was learning, and she had a lot of support to get through her courses,” says Porshia. “I liked seeing her dress up for class, which showed professional discipline and how ECPI prepares students for their careers. The day she graduated is when I knew I would be signing up next.

“I chose ECPI because I wanted to finish my degree sooner, and I wanted more opportunities for growth in my chosen field of study. I have a background in dental assisting and dental hygiene, but I was also in a leadership role as a sergeant in the Army. I wanted to stay in healthcare, but also be in a leadership role. Healthcare Administration was a great opportunity for me to continue growing as a leader in healthcare after completing my associate degree in social science.”

“I am so happy I chose to transfer to ECPI Online. I was surrounded with so much support to stay focused, stay engaged, and always aim high with my goals in my career and education. ECPI offers students so much opportunity to be the best version of themselves and to be confident and competitive candidates in the real world within any industry.”

Porshia Brown,
Healthcare Administration Graduate,
Online Campus

Porshia enrolled in ECPI University’s Healthcare Administration program. She began attending classes on campus, but soon realized that being a working mother and student was a bit more than she could handle. “I decided to transfer to the online program to give myself a better chance of staying on task, being more engaged with my classes, and less chance of being late to class due to work hours and childcare. My grades improved over time because I had more time to study, and I learned how to manage my time better, balancing work and life.”

Before attending ECPI University, Porshia had worked as a patient care coordinator and then operations lead for a dental clinic. While she was excited about the opportunity, she says she just did not have the skill set to succeed, so she had to step down from that role. “While completing my courses for the Healthcare Administration program, I learned so many things that applied to the role of an operation lead, such as process improvement, leadership and mentoring staff, financial management, marketing, and ethics,” she says. “I would constantly think about past experiences with that role and say to myself, ‘I should’ve handled that this way!’”

Porshia completed two externships and earned her degree and is now working for a home healthcare agency while pursuing her master’s degree. “I would like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to my program director, Ms. Philemon; career advisor, Ms. Kredier; and my externship supervisors, Dr. Campbell and Ms. Rogers,” she says. “I am so happy I chose to transfer to ECPI Online. I was surrounded with so much support to stay focused, stay engaged, and always aim high with my goals in my career and education. ECPI offers students so much opportunity to be the best version of themselves and to be confident and competitive candidates in the real world within any industry.”

Be the first to comment on "Online Healthcare Administration Grad Finds Inspiration from Fellow Veteran and Twin Sister"