Virginia Beach Alum Earns Coveted Spot at NASA

Electronics Engineering Technology Graduate Fulfills a Lifelong Goal

When Lloyd Jones was twelve years old, he decided to dismantle both his mother’s radio and color television set. “I didn’t expect her home so early, but when she arrived only to find all the critical components on the floor, boy was she angry,” he says. “I received disciplinary action and was sent straight to my room for further punishment.”

In the middle of the night, when everyone was sleeping, Lloyd went downstairs and put everything back together. “When my family awoke the next morning, everyone stood in amazement only to witness that not only was our radio and television reassembled like nothing ever happened, but they were operating much better,” he says. Having thoroughly cleaned each component, Lloyd learned a valuable lesson he has carried on throughout his life. “I learned one of the most important principles, the ‘Principles of Cleanliness,’” he says. “This is truly the secret of continuous operation. I found that by maintaining cleanliness of circuitry and its electronic/electrical components, that this will enable devices to work at an optimum level of efficiency.”

“My desire to return to school was so strong. It resonated within the very core of my being. I knew it was the right decision. By not doing so, the question would have remained for the rest of my life, ‘what if?’  I would have been in a state of unfulfillment. I also kept hearing my mother’s voice saying, ‘If you don’t finish your education, you will always be a laborer.’”

Lloyd Jones, Electronics
Engineering Technology Graduate,
Virginia Beach Campus

Clearly, Lloyd was destined to work in the technology field. He went on to join the Navy, where he became an electrician and spent 20 years in service to his country. After that, he went to work at Norfolk Naval Shipyard as a nuclear electrician. It was there he decided he could advance much higher if he earned a college degree. So, he enrolled at ECPI University’s Virginia Beach campus, first earning his Associate Degree, and then his Bachelor’s Degree in Electronic Systems Engineering Technology.

“My desire to return to school was so strong,” Lloyd says. “It resonated within the very core of my being. I knew it was the right decision. By not doing so, the question would have remained for the rest of my life, ‘what if?’ I would have been in a state of unfulfillment. I also kept hearing my mother’s voice saying, ‘If you don’t finish your education, you will always be a laborer.’”

Now, Lloyd has landed what many would consider a dream job. He has joined the Recent Graduate Program for the National Aeronautical and Space Administration (NASA). “The way this program works is that after a one-year probationary period, candidates are automatically entered into the Engineering Technician Apprentice Program (ETAP) where, after 600 hours, they can become an Engineering Technician GS-12 for NASA Langley Research Center,” says Lloyd. “It is truly an amazing, amazing opportunity!”

“The education I received at ECPI University was priceless. I cherish every moment in my thoughts. For anyone thinking about enrolling at ECPI University, be ready to work hard and put your time in because this is what it is going to take. Remember, once you receive your education, no one will ever be able to take it from you.”

Be the first to comment on "Virginia Beach Alum Earns Coveted Spot at NASA"