North Carolina Detective Seeks to Set Example

Online Criminal Justice Graduate on Pace to Reach Ultimate Goal

Detective Rodrick Fields grew up in Oxford, North Carolina. Population: 8,721. He feels a special connection to his hometown and its people, especially its youth. “That’s why I became a police officer,” says Rodrick. “I wanted to give back. It has truly been an honor to do so for 17 years. I have three kids, ten nephews, and three nieces. They all have seen me prove that law enforcement is here to help and not hinder or harm anyone. The young people of today need to see that positivity, and I try to do just that.”

“I also want to inspire the youth in my community. I want them to see that education is the key to success in life. I want to send them a positive message to set goals, work hard, and aim high. I want them to believe that they can achieve anything they set out to do.”

– Rodrick Fields Online Criminal Justice Graduate

Like most police officers, Rodrick started out as a patrolman but had higher ambitions and knew education was essential if he was going to reach his goals. He started out by earning his Associate’s degree and worked his way up to detective. His ultimate goal, however, is to become a chief of police. While he has plenty of experience, he knew he would have to pursue a bachelor’s, maybe even a master’s, to make chief.

With his responsibilities as a detective and a family to support, online education was Rodrick’s only option. After surveying a number of colleges and universities, he chose ECPI University’s online Criminal Justice program. In April of last year, he earned his Bachelor of Science degree and plans to pursue a Master’s degree as well.

“I really want to set an example for my three children about the importance of education,” says Rodrick. “It’s not just for them, though. I also want to inspire the youth in my community. I want them to see that education is the key to success in life. I want to send them a positive message to set goals, work hard, and aim high. I want them to believe that they can achieve anything they set out to do.”

Be the first to comment on "North Carolina Detective Seeks to Set Example"